1/4/13  #704
Subscribe for free at our subscription page:
You can view this newsletter online at:

Thank you all of our friends for your continued support to the Conspiracy Journal Newsletter!

This week Conspiracy Journal brings you such eye-crossing stories as:

- Military Must Prep Now for ‘Mutant’ Future, Researchers Warn -
From UFOs to 'Tsunami Bomb': N.Z. Archive Secrets Revealed -
- The UMMO Affair: Are Extraterrestrials Living Among Us? -
Horror in the Skies -
AND: The Wild Man of Western Port
All these exciting stories and MORE in this week's issue of

~ And Now, On With The Show! ~


In order to spread the holiday spirit for 5 days only -- starting Saturday January 5th at 
3:00 AM Eastern and continuing till Wednesday, January 9th - the Conspiracy Journal courtesy of Tim Beckley and Tim Swartz will be offering totally FREE the Kindle edition of TELEPORTATION A HOW-TO GUIDE: FROM TESLA TO STAR TREK.

It will be available at the below link. This book is "hard core" and provides details on case studies of real incidents of teleportation (from ancient times to today) as well as various examples of how such a feat may be accomplished.

Co-author Commander X claims he piloted a teleportating UFO inside Area 51 which moved in the blink of an eye simply by using his mind.

This book can be read on any PC as well as any Kindle device. Enjoy and Explore!

Be sure to tune in to Unraveling The Secrets Saturdays at 11:59PM EST
with your hosts, Wm. Michael Mott, Rick Osmon and Tim R. Swartz
on the PSN Radio Network.

This Weeks Guest: Christine Dickey



Military Must Prep Now for ‘Mutant’ Future, Researchers Warn

The U.S. military is already using, or fast developing, a wide range of technologies meant to give troops what California Polytechnic State University researcher Patrick Lin calls “mutant powers.” Greater strength and endurance. Superior cognition. Better teamwork. Fearlessness.

But the risk, ethics and policy issues arising out of these so-called “military human enhancements” — including drugs, special nutrition, electroshock, gene therapy and robotic implants and prostheses — are poorly understood, Lin and his colleagues Maxwell Mehlman and Keith Abney posit in a new report for The Greenwall Foundation (.pdf), scheduled for wide release tomorrow. In other words, we better think long and hard before we unleash our army of super soldiers.

If we don’t, we could find ourselves in big trouble down the road. Among the nightmare scenarios: Botched enhancements could harm the very soldiers they’re meant to help and spawn pricey lawsuits. Tweaked troopers could run afoul of international law, potentially sparking a diplomatic crisis every time the U.S. deploys troops overseas. And poorly planned enhancements could provoke disproportionate responses by America’s enemies, resulting in a potentially devastating arms race.

“With military enhancements and other technologies, the genie’s already out of the bottle: the benefits are too irresistible, and the military-industrial complex still has too much momentum,” Lin says in an e-mail. “The best we can do now is to help develop policies in advance to prepare for these new technologies, not post hoc or after the fact (as we’re seeing with drones and cyberweapons).”

Case in point: On April 18, 2002, a pair of Air Force F-16 fighter pilots returning from a 10-hour mission over Afghanistan saw flashes on the ground 18,000 feet below them. Thinking he and his wingman were under fire by insurgents, Maj. Harry Schmidt dropped a 500-pound laser-guided bomb.

There were no insurgents — just Canadian troops on a live-fire exercise, four of whom were killed in the blast. The Air Force ultimately dropped criminal charges against Schmidt and wingman Maj. William Umbach but did strip them of their wings. In a letter of reprimand, Air Force Lt. Gen. Bruce Carlson accused Schmidt of “willful misconduct” and “gross poor judgment.”

Schmidt countered, saying he was jittery from taking the stimulant Dexedrine, an amphetamine that the Air Force routinely prescribes for pilots flying long missions. “I don’t know what the effect was supposed to be,” Schmidt told Chicago magazine. “All I know is something [was] happening to my body and brain.”

The Food and Drug Administration warns that Dexedrine can cause “new or worse aggressive behavior or hostility.” (.pdf) But the Air Force still blamed the pilots.

The Canadian “friendly fire” tragedy underscores the gap between the technology and policy of military human enhancement. Authorities in the bombing case could have benefited from clearer guidelines for determining whether the drugs, rather than the pilots, were to blame for the accidental deaths. “Are there ethical, legal, psycho-social or operational limits on the extent to which a warfighter may be enhanced?” Lin, Mehlman and Abney ask in their report.

Now imagine a future battlefield teeming with amphetamine-fueled pilots, a cyborg infantry and commanders whose brains have been shocked into achieving otherwise impossible levels of tactical cunning.

These enhancements and others have tremendous combat potential, the researchers state. “Somewhere in between robotics and biomedical research, we might arrive at the perfect future warfighter: one that is part machine and part human, striking a formidable balance between technology and our frailties.”

In this possible mutant future, what enhancements should be regulated by international law, or banned outright? If an implant malfunctions or a drug causes unexpected side effects, who’s responsible? And if one side deploys a terrifying cyborg army, could that spark a devastating arms race as nations scramble to out-enhance each other? “Does the possibility that military enhancements will simply lead to a continuing arms race mean that it is unethical to even begin to research or employ them?” Lin, Mehlman and Abney wonder.

The report authors also question whether the military shouldn’t get give potential enhancement subjects the right to opt out, even though the subjects are otherwise subject to military training, rules and discipline. “Should warfighters be required to give their informed consent to being enhanced, and if so, what should that process be?” the researchers ask.

The ethical concerns certainly have precedent. In a series of experiments in the 1970s aimed at developing hallucinogenic weapons, the Pentagon gave soldiers LSD — apparently without the subjects fully understanding the consequences of using the drug. During the Cold War U.S. troops were also exposed to nerve gas, psychochemicals and other toxic substances on an experimental basis and without their consent.

Moreover, it’s theoretically possible that future biological enhancements could be subject to existing international laws and treaties, potentially limiting the enhancements — or prohibiting them outright. But the application of existing laws and treaties is unclear, at best. ”Could enhanced warfighters be considered to be ‘weapons’ in themselves and therefore subject to regulation under the Laws of Armed Conflict?” the researchers write. “Or could an enhanced warfighter count as a ‘biological agent’ under the Biological and Toxin Weapons Convention?”

Lin, Mehlman and Abney aren’t sure. To be safe, they propose the military consider several rules when planning an enhancement. Is there a legitimate military purpose? Is it necessary? Do the benefits outweigh the risks? Can subjects’ dignity be maintained and the cost to them minimized? Is there full, informed consent, transparency and are the costs of the enhancement fairly distributed? Finally, are systems in place to hold accountable those overseeing the enhancement?

Whether following these guidelines or others, the Pentagon should start figuring out a framework for military human enhancement now, Lin and his colleagues advise. “In comic books and science fiction, we can suspend disbelief about the details associated with fantastical technologies and abilities, as represented by human enhancements,” they warn. “But in the real world — as life imitates art, and ‘mutant powers’ really are changing the world — the details matter and will require real investigations.”

Source: Wired


From UFOs to 'Tsunami Bomb': N.Z. Archive Secrets Revealed

A new book has revealed rare historical gems buried in New Zealand's national archives, including a bizarre WWII plan to create a "tsunami bomb" and military files detailing supposed UFO sightings.

Author Ray Waru said he wrote "Secrets and Treasures" to highlight the material publicly available at Archives New Zealand in Wellington -- where almost 100 kilometres (62 miles) of shelf space is crammed with historical artefacts.

"It was totally overwhelming at the beginning," he told AFP.

"I knew I wanted to get in the important things, the Treaty of Waitangi (New Zealand's founding document), the Declaration of Independence, the women's suffrage petition, and a few other things.

"But once you start digging, one story leads onto another and I'd just follow my nose."

The suffrage petition Waru refers to contains 36,000 signatures and was dramatically unfurled on the floor of the New Zealand parliament in 1893 by supporters of women's right to vote.

Stretching for almost 300 metres (980 feet), the petition, currently undergoing restoration, proved successful and led New Zealand, then a British colony, to become the first country in the world to grant women the vote later that year.

Alongside notable historical documents, such as a letter written by explorer captain James Cook before his final voyage, are curiosities like "Project Seal", a top-secret US-New Zealand attempt to create a doomsday device to rival the nuclear bomb.

The project was launched in June 1944 after a US naval officer noticed that blasting operations to clear coral reefs around Pacific islands sometimes produced a large wave, raising the possibility of creating a "tsunami bomb".

Explosive tests carried out in waters north of Auckland led scientists to conclude that the weapon was feasible and a series of 10 massive blasts offshore could create a 10-metre (33-foot) tsunami capable of inundating a small coastal city.

"It was absolutely astonishing," Waru said.

"First that anyone would come up with the idea of developing a weapon of mass destruction based on a tsunami... and also that New Zealand seems to have successfully developed it to the degree that it might have worked.

"I only came across it because they were still vetting the report, so there it was sitting on somebody's desk (in the archives)."

Waru said the project was shelved in early 1945, despite the success of initial, small-scale tests.

"If you put it in a James Bond movie it would be viewed as fantasy but it was a real thing," he said.

Among the other oddities in the archives are Defence Department records of hundreds of UFO sightings by members of the public, military personnel and commercial pilots, mostly involving moving lights in the sky.

Some of the accounts include drawings of flying saucers, descriptions of aliens wearing "pharaoh masks" and alleged examples of extra-terrestrial writing.

New Zealand's most famous close encounter was when a television crew recorded strange lights off the South Island town of Kaikoura in 1978.

However, in a disappointment for ET spotters, the military concluded the lights could be explained by natural phenomena such as lights from boats being reflected off clouds or an unusual view of the planet Venus.

Waru said it was seemingly humdrum documents, like school magazines from the early 1900s extolling the virtues of the British Empire, that provided a window into the attitudes of the past.

"There's masses of records and kilometres of important files but you realise pretty quickly that every piece of paper is related to an individual at some point in time," he said.

"So it gives the modern researcher a peek into the private lives of individuals, which I found interesting -- divorce files from Dunedin, letters a young soldier wrote home to their parents."

Source: France24


The UMMO Affair: Are Extraterrestrials Living Among Us?
By Sean Casteel

· Are aliens mingling with our populous?

· Have they established a “Breakaway Civilization” right here on Earth?

· Have they actually gone so far as to construct cities of their own in isolated areas?

The UMMO phenomenon is an anomaly unto itself in the world of UFOlogy. It is as yet a still unsolved mystery and cannot be easily dismissed in spite of how unlikely it would appear to be on the surface. Is this a genuine case of extraterrestrials reaching out to make contact with mankind in terms humans can understand? Something more direct and open than New Age channeling or the searching through by regressive hypnosis of people claiming to be abductees?

Timothy Green Beckley of Global Communications currently offers a book on the subject called “UMMO and the Extraterrestrial Papers,” which he also edited. The nearly 300 pages of the book contain a thorough, almost encyclopedic examination of the UMMO mystery, most likely the most complete treatment of the subject to be had anywhere.

Longtime UFO journalist Antonio Huneeus opens the book with a very informative introduction in which he explains, “A vast number of technical and sometimes philosophical communications have been mailed in manila envelopes to no less than 20 and probably many more Spanish and French UFologists. There are allegedly also networks of correspondents in Canada, Austria, Yugoslavia, and other countries, although there is no concrete proof of this.”

In other words, established UFOlogists in various parts of the world have been receiving what are essentially letters in the mail from extraterrestrials. How is that for open and direct communication? But Huneeus cautions that the exact origin of the UMMO papers has never been solved.

“This means,” Huneeus continues, “that it was never proven with the slightest degree of certainty that they were either fabricated by some ‘earthly’ intelligence agency or by an extremely persistent and well-informed hoaxer; or for that matter, were what they purported to be: communiqués from intelligent beings from the planet UMMO, who, according to their own admission, have been visiting Earth incognito since 1950.”

The aliens in question claim that their planet orbits a star which we catalog as Wolf 424, located 14.6 light years from our sun. Wolf 424 is named after one of its discoverers, a French astronomer named Etienne Wolf, who worked in conjunction with fellow Frenchman Pons Rayet.

The late Spanish writer and UFOlogist Antonio Ribera is credited as being the main source of the UMMO belief system. He wrote a classic book, called “A Perfect Case,” which chronicled two UFO landings in the mid-1960s near Madrid. The pair of UFO incidents spearheaded the UMMO affair by showing for the first time its characteristic emblem, which is similar to our astronomic symbol for the planet Uranus. The symbol was visible in a series of controversial photos taken of the alleged UMMO ships, and also turned up in eyewitness descriptions of one of the landings.

The first of the landings took place on February 6, 1966, at about 6 PM. Half a dozen witnesses in the outskirts of Madrid observed the flight path and landing of a perfectly round saucer with three legs and a diameter of approximately 33 feet. One of the witnesses closest to the craft clearly saw the Uranus-like symbol of UMMO, which none of the witnesses were familiar with at the time.

It was around this same time that a Spanish UFO buff named Fernando Sesma began to receive by mail a number of technical papers relating to and supposedly written by the OEMMI, the inhabitants of UMMO. The second landing incident, which took place on June 1, 1967, was actually predicted several days before it happened in a written message mailed to Sesma and two other correspondents. Even the precise geographical coordinates of the landing were provided. All of the details of the 1966 sighting were repeated, to include the size, shape and symbol on the object.

“Seven clear photos of a classic flying saucer with a large UMMO symbol,” Huneeus writes, “were taken by Antonio Pardo and another amateur photographer.”

Although the photos were later labeled as a hoax by both Dr. J. Allen Hynek’s Center for UFO Studies (CUFOS) and Ground Saucer Watch (GSW) in Phoenix, Arizona, the Spanish UFOlogist Ribera still stood by them.

In the wake of the pair of sightings, the network of correspondents quickly grew to include about 20 people residing in several Spanish cities. The envelopes contained no return address, which meant the correspondence was only one-way. But a steady stream of highly technical papers, some dealing with the nature of the universe and the basis for intelligent life in the cosmos, continued for some time.

Huneeus is careful to point out that the content of the UMMO material is different from that of most contactee cases because they don’t contain messianic messages of doom and salvation. The method used is always by mail and not direct or telepathic contact. Unlike George Adamski and countless other “cosmic souls” trying to convert our confused human species, the authors of the UMMO papers write things like, “In no way do we wish – and we sternly warn you about this – to see you fall into the temptation of switching your religious, scientific and politico-economical ideas for ours. It would be a mistake for you to adopt our ideas, concepts and statements at face value.”

One must admit that Huneeus is quite correct on this point. That doesn’t sound like the words and attitudes of any previous “voice from beyond the stars,” as the contactees sometimes characterize the Space Brothers. These particular alien communicants don’t seem to want to change us at all.

“What are we to make of all this?” Huneeus asks. “Are we dealing with a clever and long-range social experiment conducted by some earthly intelligence agency or a think-tank like the Rand Corporation, as was considered by Ribera? Or are we instead being manipulated by a cryptic cabal of industrialists and scientists, like James Bond’s ‘SPECTRE’? Or should we instead take the papers as true renderings of an advanced alien civilization from UMMO which is trying to impart some real knowledge without upsetting too much the world’s political and cultural ‘status quo’? Whatever the answer, there could be little doubt that UMMO is a complex affair.”

Huneeus says we must rule out the possibility that it is a simple hoax in view of the duration and complexity of the material involved. A secret conspiracy or experiment is perhaps more believable, but again we must consider the length of time, international resources and the sophistication of the material itself. What could be the motive for such a group, given that it exists, to go to such trouble? One must remember that some of the papers on advanced physics, cosmology, biology, and space propulsion actually baffled a number of respected Spanish and French scientists and engineers.

As the well-known computer expert and UFO researcher, Dr. Jacques Vallee, put it, “If these concepts were not of extraterrestrial origin, then they must have originated with people who knew perfectly the ultimate advances of modern physics and had extrapolated beyond them.”

Huneeus says that he has never been satisfied with any of the answers offered. He doesn’t seen proof for UMMO being either a long-term disinformation experiment or actual ET messages. He did, however, once receive an UMMO letter himself, sent from New York City in 1985.

“The letter had the characteristic UMMO symbol,” he writes, “and was obviously a photocopy. Unlike the original technical papers, however, this could have been a put-on, since it was now stressing political views of an almost subversive nature.”

The letter to Huneeus read, in part: “The recognition of the UFO phenomenon refutes the authority of the State as the ultimate power on this planet. The ignorant masses are being sent to fight senseless and needless wars to sacrifice their own lives in the name of Nationalism, an outmoded concept based upon arbitrary and imaginary lines which represent artificial boundaries that do not exist in Nature. Nationalism is the modern-day extension of primate mammalian territorialism.”

Meanwhile, in France, the UMMO phenomenon took on a life of its own. Several scientists, such as Jean Pierre Petit, expressed a serious interest in the material that had been collected from various sources. Petit, an astrophysicist, says he was much inspired by the UMMO letters and considered them to be of “high caliber.” He maintains that his research into fluid mechanics – as well as other highly technical academic theories – was at least partially a result of digging into what the extraterrestrials had revealed in their letters. For several years, a select group met on a regular basis to discuss what practicalities could be gleaned from this correspondence with off-planet intelligences that are now making their home here.

Petit’s endeavors have resulted in several postings on the Internet in which the case is discussed in vigorous detail. Readers who wish to sink their teeth into the UMMO affair even farther can follow this YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtSTw67c_cY.   

One of the statements from the UMMO aliens about their relationship with earthlings involves the idea that the human life form is spread throughout the universe and is not the sole province of humankind on this planet. The UMMO aliens obviously blend in with normal human beings to the extent that they can put letters in the mail, or at least hire earthlings to do it for them, but their grip on our planet might be much stronger than that.

Part 2- Next Week.

[If you enjoyed this article, please visit Sean Casteel’s “UFO Journalist” website at www.seancasteel.com to read more of his articles and to purchase his books.]

Source: UFO Digest


Spain: The UFO That Terrorized a Village

By Scott Corrales

Merida is a city sufficiently attractive to cause a visitor to stop and look around. With Roman ruins over 2000 years old, historians consider it one of the most important Roman cities in the Iberian Peninsula and one of the most noteworthy ones after Rome itself. The enclave remained important during the Visigothic Age and also under Arab domination, remaining an important center for Christians within the Order of Santiago.

Here dwelt José Ferrán, his wife and six children. He was a renowned industrialist in the area and owner of a cottage in a small nearby community, which would witness an event so uncanny that it went beyond the imagination of its inhabitants. Local residents would never forget the strange apparition that materialized itself on the night of 15 April 1980.

On that night, Felipe Caballero walked up to the terrace of his house, heading for one of the bedrooms located alongside it. Since it was a very dark night, he was intrigued by a certain brightness emanating from a nearby field in the outskirts of town. Within seconds, he grew alarmed. The brightness emanated from the area where his friend José Ferrán’s cottage stood.

At first blush, it looked like a fire, causing his concern to grow by leaps and bounds, as he was the person in charge of looking after the property in the absence of its owners, who only came by on the weekends.

Caballero’s responsibility also extended to the farm animals and a lovely white mare that the industrialist kept in the cottage’s stables. Caballero immediately went to the lower floor, lifted the phone’s receiver to his ear and called his friend. The time was 10:15 in the evening.

The industrialist, who at the time was watching television with his wife Laura and the youngest of his six children, answered the phone, only to hear Felipe’s anguished voice on the other end, ask him to come immediately to the location in question. “Look, Pepe, I’m so sorry, but I think you’d better come to Mirandilla as soon as possible. I’m seeing a great deal of brightness coming from your cottage. When I was there this morning, I left everything in good order. Something makes me think there was a break-in and a fire’s broken out…”

The industrialist didn’t think twice. The cottage represented not only a place of relaxation for him and his wife, but also an item of great sentimental value. He had designed it and built it himself. Ferrán owned a respected decoration and painting business that employed a considerable number of people.

He got in his car – a white Mercedes Benz – and after leaving a note for his remaining five children, who were away from home, took off in a hurry with his wife and youngest son toward Mirandilla. Ferran was an excellent driver, and he covered the twelve kilometer stretch in a few minutes.

Upon reaching Mirandilla, they crossed the town square and headed for the outskirts. Leaving the last few houses in town behind them, they noticed knots of people staring in the direction of the family cottage. Ferran stopped the car as they went past the last structure – an enormous house which had only been used by a contingent of troops from Cordoba the day before on maneuvers, located next to a bean field. Felipe Caballero was standing there with his own son. They explained that they had dared to approach the cottage despite the fact that no smoke was visible, just in case there were intruders on the premises.

Ferrán looked fixedly at the cottage, located on a rise among large boulders, some of which had to be dynamited away to set the foundations. Thinking something abnormal was going on, he got in his car and sped toward the house. This conjecture caused his wife to panic; the child held on to its mother, asking her to make his father stop the car. Upon seeing this, Ferrán pulled over so they could abandon the Mercedes, leaving them in the middle of the bean field.

Feelings of fear and curiosity mingled in the industrialist’s mind at the moment, with the latter being the stronger of the two. He approached the structure with his running lights and flashers on. A chill invaded him when he realized that there had not, in fact, been a fire. Contrasting against the black sky was a powerful light, which seemed orange from a distance, hence being mistaken for fire, but which up close was blindingly white, to the extent that the cottage’s steps were as clearly visible as they were by daylight. He stopped the car and looked at “the thing”, trying to figure out what it was. The light came from above, forming an enormous curtain that covered the cottage and its surroundings. Since the car was on the ascending road, Ferrán turned on his high beams, which illuminated the cottage. This action allowed him to get a better view.

The light was now two cone-shaped columns, blinding in their whiteness. In the dark, Ferrán tried to find the source of the light. Far above the cottage, and serving as a vertex, he saw a series of lights that looked like car lights, in colors ranging from red to orange, serving as the base for a structure so black that it was lost against the dark sky, blotting out the few visible stars. Above these was another row of yellow, red and orange lights, larger than the ones below. According to the industrialist, the montage created a silhouette similar to that of an enormous hat, with pillars of light streaming from its hypothetical ends, making it impossible to determine their final shape.

He looked at the cottage once again, and was struck by something. A light began to move and stand out among the others: it was a red sphere that began to rotate around the assembly.

Ferran looked at the lights, ascertaining that the distance between them was enormous. He would later remark: “In the course of my professional life I’m accustomed to measuring facades, and I’ve only seen something so large in Cádiz, when I saw a U.S. aircraft carrier moored at the port.”

After several efforts at starting the car again – uncertain if this was due to his nerves or some mechanical failure – he was finally able to get the Mercedes’ engine to turn over. No sooner did the car approach the cottage than the object moved slightly to the right of the building, casting one of its beams on the large house occupied by soldiers the previous day.

At that moment, the gathered neighbors – who were by this point most of the town – heard a sound they subsequently described as “the dropping of boards”. The enormous, dark and solid-looking object, betraying no windows, doors or anything else beyond its lights and the red orb gyrating around it, began to rise into the night as the orb vanished. Simultaneously and astonishingly, the object became little more than luminous dots above a copse several hundred meters away.

Ferrán, astonished by the object’s prodigious speed, hesitated for a moment. Then, in a bold effort to ascertain the true nature of “the thing”, raced away from the cottage, heading toward the location where the object was now suspended at treetop level. The car bounced over the irregular terrain, and as he closed in on the object, which had regained its colossal aspect, Ferrán suddenly realized that “it” was no longer there. He hit the brakes quickly, stepped out of the Mercedes, and looked everywhere. There wasn’t a trace of the object to be seen anywhere!

“Where could something so large have hidden itself?” he wondered.

Stunned and confused, he re-entered the vehicle and turned around. He was still mulling things over when once again – facing him and hovering above the cottage – stood the colossal object. How could such a thing be possible? Everything felt like a macabre joke. An unreal prank from which he felt he would awaken at any moment, leaving the bad dream behind. He had not approached the cottage when the object played around again, vanishing and reappearing over the wooded area.

Meanwhile, initial amazement had turned into panic among the townspeople. Small children, perhaps influenced by their elders’ remarks, broke into tears, not understanding what was going on. José Ferrán thought it was all a pointless cat-and-mouse game. At that point he remembered the QUASAR group, a veteran association involved in the technical study of strange phenomena. Some of its members were friends of his, and would know what to do. Without further ado, he returned to pick up his wife, who had witnessed the game played with the object and had begun to fear for his life. He told her his plan, left her there, and drove quickly back to Mérida.

José Maria Mordillo, then vice-president of the research group, lived in the same block of houses as Ferrán, and in the Trajano Cinema at that time. Ferrán managed to get him away from the movies, and both men went to find Luis Cuervo, the group’s photographer. Grabbing the camera nearest to hand, the three men raced back to Mirandilla.

When they returned, people were still clustered at the outskirts. Above the trees and far away they could see something that gave out a white light that illuminated the treetops, making them visible at a distance. Without hesitating, the men headed toward it, but this time, as if the object had guessed their efforts at “hunting it”, it sped off before they came much closer, placing itself above the Sierra del Moro mountains.

Getting there was impossible. Luis clicked away with his camera. His viewfinder only showed a light larger than a star, and hence with little documentary value. The flash went off accidentally, and as though a reflex mechanism were involved, the object took off at lightning speed and vanished.

The time was now 11:30 p.m. and it was all over. There was nothing left to do except inspect the cottage for any damage, and then return to his home in Mérida.

Ferrán returned the next day with Saturnino Mendoza, president of the QUASAR group and the more specialized researcher at the time in such phenomena in Extremadura. They began by analyzing the cottage and found nothing that could explain why the object had stopped above it. Only a metal plate was found on the rooftop. Later, they headed toward the large abandoned house where one of the beams of light had penetrated, and where a “sound of crashing boards” had been heard. Before entering, they conducted measurements to calculate the distance between both sources of light. This would give them an approximate estimation of the object’s diameter. The result: one hundred meters (328 feet).

Armed with flashlights, they entered the abandoned house. They found a broad paved courtyard surrounded by stables in some places to care for the cattle. Rooms were in the background. They headed toward them.

In one room, with ancient walls made of earth rather than brick, they found a stairway. Carefully, they ascended to the top floor, finding themselves in a room measuring some sixteen or eighteen square meters, with a rubble-strewn floor. Aided by their flashlights, they ascertained that the room’s ceiling had caved in. They thought at first that this could be due to the structure’s deterioration and the passing of time, but Felipe Caballero’s son told them that the roof had been intact only a few days before. This prompted them to conduct a detailed search. Was the sound of the roof collapsing the noise that the townspeople had heard?

They found that the entire structure rested upon a thick wooden beam, and that a chunk somewhat larger than a meter long had broken off from it, not from the middle, but from a part nearer the wall. It was therefore strange that the remainder of the assembly had not collapsed with it. On the floor, among the remains of shingles and boards, they found the rest of the beam. Casting the light of their flashlights upon it, the men could not help but be amazed: the beam showed two holes caused by burns, wide enough for a fist to go through them. Despite the beam’s age, the fact that it hadn’t burned up was equally strange – it was as though the wood had been attacked by a blowtorch. The remaining boards were singed at their ends, but the burns had a graphite-like cast to them, as shiny as the lead in a pencil.

More surprises were in store, although this one was somewhat repulsive. Some of the shingles were covered of a sort of whitish mucus; others presented only partial burns. In a corner of the wall belonging to the collapsed roof they found the remains of a fire. In any ordinary fire near a wall, smoke and the remains of combustion form a triangle with its base toward the bottom, narrowing out as it rises. The opposite was apparent here: the wider zone was above and the narrower one on the bottom, just before touching the floor. How was this possible? There was only one answer: the fire had been projected in a jet from above, projected downward. Could it have then been produced by the beam emanating from the object responsible for such a sinister situation? Local residents said that the beam of light never extinguished itself; it simply retracted and extended itself yet again.

Moreover, the small weeds and lichens on the shingles presented exudations of sap, showing they had been affected by some sort of heat radiation.

An accident occurred back in Mérida, upon examining the samples. The various samples, wood, shingles, bags with plants and other items from the ground had been placed in the back room of a record shop owned by José María Mordillo. They ascertained that the mucus-like substance had vanished, and that when placed beside some nails, the iron material had been dragged toward the samples, which now had magnetic properties! This could only have been caused by the object.

As far as witnesses were concerned, it was surprising that the entire town agreed on the sighting. There was no doubt whatsoever about the reality of the case.

Remarkably, one of the female witnesses startled researchers by offering them a bit of information that would be as interesting as it was relevant to the case. She told them that one evening of the previous weekend, upon leaving a friend’s house and crossing the street, she looked down the road to see two identical objects over Ferran’s cottage, even though these objects were somewhat smaller than the others.

Laura, Ferrán’s wife, also recalled a major detail. That weekend, as was their custom, the couple had stayed at the cottage with one of his brothers and their family. They had gone to bed, and were awakened around 1 a.m. by considerable brightness. “Are you sure you didn’t leave the car lights on?” she asked her husband. The industrialist replied no, and that the brightness was probably produced by the moon. Laura reminded him it was a moonless night. This prompted José Ferrán to get dressed and look outside. At that same time, he heard a noise, and saw that the surroundings were illuminated in a manner similar to the effects of the full moon. The mare was excited, injuring herself in an effort to escape from its paddock. Ferran called out to her and whistled in an effort to calm her down, and to avoid serious injury.

Once the mare had calmed down, Ferrán led it to the stables and returned to bed. He was telling Laura about the mare when suddenly, the brightness vanished. He thought that it might have been one of his brothers turning on the entrance lights to the cottage, and didn’t thing about it again.

The next step was to contact the Talavera la Real Air Force Base and seek confirmation of overflights in the area. Calls were placed to the Instituto Nacional de Técnica Aeroespacial (INTA), which refused to hear about the matter, directing them to military authorities, who responded as follows:

“Dear Sir: With regard to your kind letter dated the 20th of last month, I am pleased to inform you that on the 10th and the 15th of last April training flights were conducted from this school between 9:30 p.m. and 12:00 a.m. It is possible that one such aircraft flew over the area you have indicated, but never lower than 5000 meters. Moreover, having made the pertinent inquiries, there is no word of any radar echoes in the area and times indicated.”

Curiously, the letter from the commandant of the Aviation School referenced the 10th and 15th as specific dates, when the events they were asked about referred only to the one in recent days. It is doubly curious if we consider that that experience narrated by the woman mentioned earlier and the experiences of José and Laura Ferrán that same weekend, occurred five days earlier, that is to say, on the 10th. Were the events on both days related? Another question: fighters from this air base never fly beyond 20:00 hours. Why then were they flying at midnight on both days, precisely over the scene of the events? In spite of the denial, could they have been trying to identify a strange echo picked up over the area?

The enigma endures despite the years that have gone by. While the events are still being investigated, José Ferrán will never hear the end of the story. Lung cancer – detected only a short time after the incident – took his life.

[Translation (c) 2013, Scott Corrales, Institute of Hispanic Ufology (IHU). Special thanks to Guillermo D. Gimenez, Planeta UFO and Pedro María Fernández]

Source: Inexplicata


Horror in the Skies
By Nick Redfern

The Mothman of Point Pleasant, West Virginia; Cornwall, England’s Owlman; the Houston Batman of Texas; the legendary Thunderbirds that populate Native American lore; and the flying woman of Vietnam: they all have one thing in common, namely that they are undeniably weird winged things that have no business surfing the skies of our planet. But, that doesn’t mean they’re not! Indeed, the sheer wealth of testimony on record suggests that’s exactly what they – and many more of their monstrous ilk – are doing.

And while the critters cited above are all well known to the field of Forteana, many others are not, including one I investigated more than a decade or so ago in central England, and which is way up there in the truly weird stakes. So, where to begin? There’s only one place we can: the beginning of course…

Needwood Forest - of the county of Staffordshire, England - was a chase, or a royal forest, that was given to Henry III’s son, Edmund Crouchback, the 1st Earl of Lancaster, in 1266, and was owned by the Duchy of Lancaster until it passed into the possession of Henry IV. In the 1770s, Francis Noel Clarke Mundy published a collection of poetry called Needwood Forest which contained his own poem of the same name, one regarded as “one of the most beautiful local poems.” And much the same was said about the forest – which was an undeniably enchanting locale, filled with magic, myths and ancient lore, as forests so curiously often are.

Today, however, things are sadly very different, and most of the ancient woodland is now, tragically, gone: presently, the area is comprised of twenty farms, on which dairy farming is the principal enterprise; and less than 500 acres of woodland now remain. Some parts of the forest are still open to the public, including Jackson Bank: a mature, mixed 80-acre area of woodland which can be found at Hoar Cross near Burton upon Trent and which is owned by the Duchy of Lancaster.

And then there is Bagot’s Wood near Abbots Bromley, which claims to be the largest remaining part of Needwood Forest, and which takes its name from the Bagot family, seated for centuries at Staffordshire’s Blithfield Hall. Situated some 9 miles east of Stafford and 5 miles north of Rugeley, the Hall, has been the home of the Bagot family since the late 14th century; while the present house is mainly Elizabethan, with a Gothic façade added in the 1820s to a design probably by John Buckler.

In 1945 the Hall, then in a neglected and dilapidated state, was sold by Gerald Bagot, (the 5th Baron Bagot) together with its 650-acre estate to the South Staffordshire Waterworks Company, whose intention was to build a reservoir, and which was completed in 1953. The 5th Baron died in 1946, having sold many of the contents of the house. His successor and cousin, Caryl Bagot, repurchased the property and 30 acres of land from the water company and began an extensive programme of both renovation and restoration.

The 6th Baron died in 1961 and bequeathed the property to his widow: Nancy, Lady Bagot. In 1986, the Hall was divided into four separate houses, the main part of which incorporates the Great Hall and is owned by the Bagot Jewitt Trust. Lady Bagot and the Bagot Jewitt family remain in residence.

And, it is against this backdrop of ancient woodland and historic and huge old halls that something decidedly strange occurred back in the summer of 1937, when Alfred Tipton was but a ten-year-old boy. And like most adventurous kids, young Alfred enjoyed playing near Blithfield Hall, and in the Bagot’s Wood, with his friends: on weekends and during the seemingly-never-ending school-holidays. And, it was during the summer holidays of 1937 that something strange and monstrous was seen in that small, yet eerie, area of old woodland.

According to Tipton, on one particular morning he and four of his friends had been playing in the woods for several hours and were taking a break, sitting on the warm, dry grass, and soaking in the sun. Suddenly, says Tipton, they heard a shrill screeching sound that was coming from the trees directly above them. As they craned their necks to look directly upwards, the five pals were horrified by the sight of a large, black beast sitting on its haunches in one particularly tall and very old tree, and “shaking the branch up and down with its claws tightened around it.” But this was no mere large bird, however.

Tipton says that “it reminded me of a devil: I still don’t forget things and that is what I say it looked like.” He adds that the creature peered down at the five of them for a few moments and then suddenly opened up its large and shiny wings, which were easily a combined twelve-feet across, and took to the skies in a fashion that could be accurately described as part-flying and part-gliding, before being forever lost to sight after perhaps 15 or 20 seconds or so.

Significantly, when shown various pictures, photographs and drawings of a wide variety of large-winged creatures that either still roam our skies or did so in the past, the one that Tipton said most resembled the creature he and his mates saw was a pterodactyl. Of course, the pterodactyl is long extinct; however, Tipton is adamant that the beast the boys encountered was extremely similar to the legendary winged monster of the distant past.

Were the boys merely spooked and confused by their sighting of a large, exotic bird – albeit one of a conventional nature and origin, and perhaps even a circus- or zoo-escapee? Or, was some hideous winged-thing really haunting Bagot’s Wood on that fateful, long-gone morning back in 1937? Sadly, probably neither we nor Alfred Tipton will ever know the answers to those thought-provoking and controversial questions.

Source: Mysterious Universe


The Wild Man of Western Port

Western Port, a large tidal bay just an hour’s drive to the east of Australia’s second most populous city, Melbourne, is today home to Australian fur seals, whales, dolphins, and Phillip Island’s famous colony of fairy penguins.

And according to the indigenous tribes of the area, and many of the colonists who first settled there, the nearby mountain ranges of Western Port were once home to a fearful large, hairy creature that often walked holding a stick, built shelters from the weather and had once attacked a a camp and carried away women and children. To the Western Port tribes it was known as “Bundyllcarno”.

On 16 July 1847, the Geelong Advertiser and Squatters’ Advocate, wrote of the Wild Man of the Australian Woods stating that: “A creature described by the natives as something very similar to an ourang-out-tang is supposed by many colonists to exist in the mountain ranges at the back of Western Port, but their ideas of it are mixed up with such a superstitious dread as to induce many to consider it only in the light of an imaginary being, created by their own fears, or by interested parties amongst them selves.”

But while some considered the creature to be an “imaginary being” created by “superstitious dread” and fear, others took the reports seriously.

“The fact of some strange and peculiar tracks having been noticed in the ranges, recorded in the Port Phillip [Melbourne] papers at the time they were discovered, and. many other circumstances, seem to indicate that there is some animal resident there which has not yet been seen by a white man; and from the position of this tract of country, being quite out of any road pursued by European travellers, it is very possible such a thing may exist.”

As big as a man and covered with stiff bristly hair

The article included a description of the creature given by a member of the local Woeworong tribe.

“He is as big as a man and shaped like him in every respect, and is covered with stiff bristly hair, excepting about the face, which is like an old man’s full of wrinkles; he has long toes and fingers, and piles up stones to protect him from the wind or rain, and usually walks about with a stick, and climbs trees with great facility; the whole of his body is hard and sinewy, like wood to the touch.”

Another indigenous local, Worrongby, explained to the writer why they feared the creatures they called “Bundyllcarno”.

“Many years since, some of these creatures attacked a camp of natives in the mountains and carried away some women and children,” Worrongby recounted.

Since that time, they had had a great dread of walking around after sunset.

“The only person now alive [in 1847] who killed one, was Carbora, the great doctor, who had succeeded in striking one in the eye with his tomahawk. On no other part of his body was he able to make the least impression.”

Startled by a most peculiar cry

The writer of the article then described his own experience with what may have been the much-feared hairy wild man of the woods.

“On one occasion, when pheasant shooting, about three days’ journey in the mountains, in company with two natives and a white man, we constructed a bark hut, and had retired to repose, when, shortly afterwards, I was startled by a most peculiar cry, very different from any of the other noises which are heard from the wild animals inhabiting these ranges.

“I should have previously mentioned, that the blacks, after the fatigues of the day, had very soon fallen asleep; but, on the noise rousing them they both started up, and seized their guns with the utmost horror depicted on their countenances. Not a word escaped them, and the mysterious sound still echoed amongst the hills.

“On my asking one, in rather a loud voice, what he was frightened at, he desired me not to speak loud; that the shouts which had aroused them proceeded from a bundyllcarno, or devil, which is the name they have given this thing.

“The noise shortly died away in the distance, and I once more endeavoured to sleep. Neither of my natives would lie down for the night, and as soon as day dawned, they insisted on leaving the scene of this strange occurrence, and going to some distant part.”

For more reports of encounters with the wild man of the woods and other unknown animals, check out Weird Australia: Real Reports of Uncanny Creatures, Strange Sightings & Extraordinary Encounters.

Source: Weird Australia

Sign up today for Bizarre Bazaar and Conspiracy Journal Magazines

Click on banner to sign up for two FREE magazines!


Free Issue of Phenomena Magazine

Wm Michael Mott - New Book Available on Kindle

The Kevin Cook Show on Inception Radio Network

Informant News-Tapping into the Multiverse for a good Story!

PSI TALK-The Internet's Only Paranormal Web Station!

UFO Digest

Cosmic Horizons - Thursday at 8:00pm Eastern

The Paracast
Sunday, 3:00 AM–6:00 AM Eastern Time on GCN Radio

Conspiracy Journal - Issue 703 1/4/13
Subscribe for free at our subscription page: